OMAP35x Torpedo™ SOM
Logic PD's Torpedo™ System on Module (SOM) is an ultra-compact form factor based on Texas Instruments' OMAP35x processor family.
The OMAP35x Torpedo SOM provides a dime-sized module solution for applications that require low-power and high-performance within tight space constraints. By using the 0.4 mm BGA pitch OMAP processor that leverages Package-on-Package (PoP) technology, the Torpedo SOM requires 45% less surface area and 12% less volume when compared to the equivalent OMAP 0.65 mm BGA package and external memory solution.
A discrete design using the 0.4 mm BGA package requires advanced PCB technologies that result in higher board costs in addition to PoP technology which requires specialized manufacturing assembly processes. The Torpedo SOM solves these development complexities; as a result, customers can design lower cost baseboards and utilize common manufacturing procedures while still benefiting from the small package OMAP35x processor and PoP technology.
The ultra-compact Torpedo SOM is an ideal off-the-shelf solution for applications in markets where space is a premium. From point-of-care medical devices to bar code readers, handheld radios to mobile Internet devices, netbooks to CCTV cameras, the Torpedo SOM allows for powerful versatility, compact designs, and long-life products.
The ZoomTM OMAP35x Torpedo Development Kit includes all of the necessary accessories to immediately begin development, helping customers deliver their products to market sooner.
Logic PD has the resources to support you at every stage in the product lifecycle. Our applications engineering support will help you evaluate SOM options and accelerate the integration of the module into your product design. Logic PD offers a variety of support packages that include:
- Personal applications engineer
- Priority email and telephone support
- Training on SOM implementation
- SOM architecture review
- Schematic review
- Production support
- Texas Instruments OMAP3530 Applications Processor running up to 600 MHz*. The SOM supports the following Texas Instruments processors:
- IVA2.2 Subsystem TMS320C64x+TM DSP core running up to 430 MHz and supporting multiple codecs (only supported on OMAP3530 processor).
*NOTE: 720 MHz processors are available for custom configuration orders. Please contact Logic PD Sales for more information.
Software and Tools
- LogicLoaderTM (bootloader/monitor)
- Open source Linux BSP based on kernel 2.6.22 (http://opensource.ti.com)
- Windows Embedded CE 6.0 BSP
- Timesys Linux BSP
166 MHz Mobile DDR SDRAM / NAND flash memory (PoP technology)
- 128 MB / 256 MB
- 256 MB / 512 MB
- Boots from NAND flash or external SD card
- USB high-speed On-the-Go interface
- Three UARTs
- Two McBSPs
- Three SPI, two I2C
- Built-in LCD controller supports up to 24 bpp TFT interface
- Built-in driver supports XGA 1024x768 at 24-bit color
- I2S compliant audio codec (TI TPS65950 – 16-bit stereo DAC, 13-bit ADC)
- MMC/SD card support
- Ultra-compact Torpedo SOM form factor (15 x 27 x 3.8 mm)
- Commercial temperature (0°C to +70°C)
- Industrial temperature (-40°C to +85°C)
Standard SOM Configurations
OMAP3503 processor, up to 600 MHz, 128 MB DDR, 256 MB NAND flash, audio
OMAP3530 processor, up to 600 MHz, 128 MB DDR, 256 MB NAND flash, audio
OMAP3530 processor, up to 600 MHz, 256 MB DDR, 512 MB NAND flash, audio
Documentation & Downloads
Please visit our Support Website to access technical documentation and downloads for our SOM products.
- START HERE - Documentation Overview
- START HERE - Support Services Overview
- OMAP35x Torpedo SOM Product Brief
- Zoom OMAP35x Torpedo Development Kit Product Brief
- OMAP35x Linux BSP Product Brief
- OMAP35x Windows Embedded CE 6.0 BSP Product Brief
- LogicLoader Product Brief
- Zoom Display Kit Product Brief
- RoHS Certificate of Compliance
- REACH Declaration